Sunday, September 07, 2008

Cooper


Skyfires Hall of Fame "COOPER"

We finally gave in and added a pup to our family. Cooper arrived yesterday and he is the sweetest pup. He slept in his crate all night long without a whimper except for the first minute. He just hung with us in the house all day with a dozen or more trips outside to make sure we avoid any and all accidents on the new floors!
I am a big believer in being proactive in puppy training. If you can avoid the accidents by keeping a close eye on the pup and taking them out (carrying!) as soon as you get them out of the crate in the morning, after every meal and every hour or so all day long, you can avoid the accidents all together. I also put the pup in the crate for a nap midday and whenever I can not keep a close eye. This keeps them from doing 'puppy' things and developing bad 'im bored' habits like eating a shoe. The crate is not a punishment nor does he spend much time in there besides night time, but it is the pups and my best friend.

I also believe that the rules for the dog start now. If you dont want an 80 pound big hairy black lab with muddy paws jumping on you, then dont allow a 10 pound puppy to. If they know from the get go that it isnt allowed, then it doesnt take headaches and tons of training. Teach the manners from the beginning. No snapping for food, no getting on things you dont want them to. I love positive distraction. If the pup starts after something I dont want him to chew on, I give him his chewie.

More to come with my trials in puppyhood.

No comments: