Monday, September 08, 2008

Cows

We love our cows. They are so funny, sweet and predictable. I drive a deisel truck to the ranch to check on them, and I always bring two bales of hay (or more) to feed them.




The reason I do this is two fold (or four fold). First, its the best way I can get them together and check on everyone. The other is so when I have to gather them, my job is easy. You see, instead of having to chase cows across the land, through brush and rocky hillsides, they are spoiled and want hay. We just honk the horn, toss out a little hay and they come following into the corrals. Usually we only need a horse or two or a quad to follow up the straglers in the rear. You see this also alows me to be lazier and not work as hard. Lastly, the cows need a little extra supplement this time of year.




Somehow this calf has eluded the brandings and castration, as well as weaning!



We are in a draught and the grass is lean this year, so I typically give them hay once or twice a week to supplement. The lake is low, so this time they decided to take a 'short cut!'





A face only a mother could love!



You see their faces and ear tags are blackish and dirty? The yellow flowers you see are not beautiful flowers, but rather obnoxious weed we call 'tar weed,' I dont know the exact name of it, thats my husbands department. We are looking into ways of eradicating it. Anyhow, the cows dont eat it, but it is everywhere they do eat, so the sticky tar on the plant sticks to their faces and every late summer the cows look like this. It has a pungent smell as well that stays on the truck and follows me wherever I go. I get out at the grocery store and smell tar weed.


Somehow her pretty fance has managed to stay clean, or can you just not see it?


MMMmmmmmmm hay!











No comments: